Thursday, July 7, 2011

Week of Valken Aftermath, Arbitrary Milestones, Self-Congratulatory Back Patting, and an Epic Story Time

An over zealous congratulatory back pat
worthy of a paintball blog
       It's completed, but even with a designated conclusion post for the Week of Valken for summarizing and wrapping it all up, my mind is still whirling from the rapid fire posting and editing. I re-read a handful of the posts from those 9 days last night and noted some spelling errors and a few unclear points and decided to give every post an additional proof read and edit. I double checked all the in text links as well to ensure they were working and linking to what it is they're meant to. I also realized while doing this that going back and doing some edits might be a great way to squeeze in some afterthoughts on products previously reviewed, for example, the Oakley gloves and 5.11 boots; definitely developed some new opinions on those in recent days. Finally, I went in to the stats section of Blogger to check where the blog sits in regards to traffic these days.
       I've passed a few good milestones in the last week and though I believe there is every possibility those would have been passed without the 9 days of product reviews, I think it's appropriate to look back and let regular readers know where the blog is sitting right now. Firstly, it's garnering about 60-70 page views per day right now, and more every time I add a review. This month the blog is sitting at 1350 page views. And in regards to all time history, three evenings ago the blog broke 5000 total views since Christmas of 2010. But wait! There's just a little more back patting to give myself! I have one of those epic stories to share and this is one of the rare occasion where the story is about myself.
       It's starting to seem like all the stories I want to share with you guys are coming out of games of “Doctor,” and this one is no exception (currently editing another one). It's a short one though, and one of the few stories about myself personally but being that the blog isn't for personal ego stroking, I'll try my best not to drag it out.
       As alluded to earlier, this was another game of Doctor, myself and another gentleman were doctors on our team, and the other team was also equipped with two life givers. The crew pushing up my side took their time making their way up the field but ended up having very minimal need for me and managed to clear out one doctor and a pile of his team mates just before the 5 minutes remaining mark. I was only using a pistol and so was of little use in any case, but with one man with a Custom 98, another with an X7 Phenom, and a third with an Etek 3 AM, we had a pretty capable and interesting mix of guys working our side. Our jubilation for the successful push was short lived after taking down the one flank as time was running out and the other half of our team had not managed to take any ground, we had to make it up in short order or end the game in a draw. Several enemies on the flank we we're moving into quickly fell in places where the surviving medic wouldn't easily be able to get to them and so they exited the field. Our team had a great position to destroy the rest of the team given our flanking positiong, but we had a rotten amount of ammo. I was out of both paint and gas, and the gentleman with the Phenom on my team was in the same boat, by this point, he was mostly just standing there to look intimidating, myself as well.
       Two guys remain on the enemy team, one doctor, and one experienced Autococker user who would like to be known as Wade (see the Angry Barrel story). Wade is good, no one wants to poke their head up just because he has the uncanny ability to snap his focus to you before you can line a shot up on him. His doctor is near him, not close enough to tag him just by reaching out, but about one bunker away and could easily revive him if he made a quick dash. I make a stupid move: being out of paint, gas, and being my team's more experienced doctor, I decide to keep low and out of the Wade's line of site, as well as his doctor's and crawl to a bunker super close to them.
       Well crap. I can't even move now.
       Very lucky for me however, the one time I peak out from behind this cover Wade was looking the other way. One of my team mates dropped in behind him and so Wade sprinted at the guy unleashing hell in the other direction. The enemy doctor was to the right of what I saw before me, he was hiding in a piece of culvert which had been cut in half lengthwise and was leaning against a tree. All I could see was a barrel sticking out, moving back and forth, rhythmically blasting balls down the course to suppress my team from coming at him. With no threats in front of me except the doctor if he pokes out, I decided to make a move.
       I crouch-ran very quick, and I was holding my breath the whole time, worrying I'd be heard since I had a half empty pod in my dump pouch making a horrible noise as I moved along, but I kept low and made it to the piece of culvert without being detected. The doctor was still blasting away. I reached up, and grabbed the barrel of his Custom 98 and he fired in surprise, I pushed it forward and away from myself and the doctor, my arm extending straight out. I then brought my T8.1 up with my other hand (right) and rested it on my extended left arm, trained on the doctor's face.
       “Mercy.” I said, and he took it.
       I don't believe I've ever seen close quarters contact such as that during a game. I've seen a barrel tag or two, and have heard epic stories about bingo dabber knife fights, as well as rubber knife and lipstick CQB kills but have never seen or been involved with a player having his gun immobilized as part of gameplay. It was great, 4 kills off an 8 round magazine some games too! That day was the only one ever where I've run just a pistol, and if action like that is what's generated as a result, I might have to try it a little more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment