Wednesday, December 29, 2010

REVIEW: Versapod Battle Pack

Pic of the NC Star Bipod... I Don't Recommend That One...

      For a very long time I thought bipods were pretty much useless in a paintball game since any time you were prone with one and had a clear shot, your enemy probably also had a clear shot at you. Around last Christmas (2009), I went down to Paintballgear.ca Vancouver and bought a cheapo 22$ NC Star bipod mostly for gun portrait sake. The thing was garbage for the most part but I wasn’t counting on it pulling me through any scrapes so I was happy with it; I had another prop, another thing to slap on a gun to help it pose for pictures. Mission accomplished. then I got this crazy idea one day that I should mount it on my A5 and see how it went for a game…. I smoked a lot of guys in the head that day. Sadly (but ultimately for the greater good) my NC Star bipod crapped out on me after that day. It performed well for pictures and for the game I used it, but then one day while demonstrating the ol’ K-Series, a leg fell off and spring went missing and overall it was a sad mess, especially since the mag I was using that day also has it’s pins break. What a disaster Turns out that type of bipod is held together solely by the tension of springs, remove one from the equation and the thing falls apart. My NC Star one is still in my possession and functions well after being glued together again humpty dumpty style but it’s an embarrassment and no longer adjustable. I had to fix this problem of an unreliable bipod.
       Down at the local outdoor sporting goods store I got to asking a fellow at the fire arms till what he would recommend and after trying a few things and finding none that would fit a milspec picatinny rail (more people need to hunt with assault rifles, geeze) he took me to google on the computer at his counter and we began hunting around for the Versapod. Turns out this guy rocked a SAW in Afghanistan for a tour and had extensive firsthand experience with the product. I did a lot of hunting around for a good price on a Versapod with at least a 9 inch lift since a Milsig with a mag needs a 7-9 inch leg lift for the mag to clear the ground when you lie prone and shoulder it. Raptor feet would be a plus in the purchase but Keng's Firearms, the makers of the Versapod, informed me that I would not be able to find exactly what I wanted but could get these feet if I bought the battle pack. Too pricey I thought to myself, and then they told me there was an anniversary sale on, so after a day of mulling it over I decided to take the plunge, after all, apparently they provide a life time warranty, have a coating tested to 1000 hours of salt water spray and are made in the USA, sounds good to me.
Everything That Comes in the Box

- This is the Battle Pack LTD Large model, the legs extend from 9 inches to 12, and are spring loaded.
- The Multicam carry case is not optional, they include it for free, it has some nice heavy duty YKK zippers on it as well as a quick attach MOLLE system so you can carry it all on your vest if you really wanted to.
- You get the bipod and 3 sets of legs: raptor feet, ski feet, and rubber feet, so you can use it on any surface you want to.

- Shipping cost about 25 USD to get it to where I am in Kamloops
The HD Non-Canting Picatinny Mount
- You need to choose an included free adapter for whatever kind of mount this bipod is going on, I think for most of us this is the Standard Milspec Picatinny mount and so I got (and recommend) the HD non canting picatinny mount. The adapter is held in place by two screws, not one, and will sit on your gun very firmly. This mount does not have a sling attachment point however.
- The bipod is very solid and its very easy to change the legs. To do so one only needs to undo a small screw on the rear of each leg and let the leg out slowly and swap in the desired one, takes a minute to do both at most.
- Like most bipods, all you do to deploy it is squeeze the legs together and pull them down, when released a spring pushes them to an approximately 90 degree angle and voila, bipod is go!
- One neat feature is you can store them either way, feet face down the barrel or toward you. There is 180 degrees of folding motion on this bipod.
Side by Side with the NC Star Bipod That Crapped Out

- Despite being quite large and robust, this bipod weighs only a little bit more than my NC Star glued up bipod, here they are together for comparison.








4 Points of Contact

- Here's a shot of the bipod on my K-Series with a sniper stock on the back, with the legs shrunk down in their tubes, I have 4 points on contact, both legs, the mag, as well as the stock and it won't fall over if left to rest.
Those raptor feet are pretty damn intimidating, eh? Hope you had a good read, here’s one more pic for good measure. Feel free to ask any questions, I’ll be sure to add any additional thoughts to this review later and I think more larger, self taken shots are in order for reviews in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment