Thursday, January 6, 2011

INFRINGEMENT: This image may be subject to copyright.

       Ever since I bought my camera (and even before) it bothered the living crap out of me when someone would take a picture I made/took and neglected to give credit where credit was due. I now feel obliged to address the sources of some of my photos and how I plan to cite these. There will be 4 kinds of pictures on the blog: My own pictures, Others' pictures, Product pictures, and Memes such as the lolcat from this post.  
        Memes such as the "Don't worry sir, I'm from the internet" and Haters gonna Hate" in other posts I take no credit for. Other pictures such as these will appear in future posts and it's a safe bet that if the picture has text and appears to be trying to be funny that I did not make the image, ergo, please don't call me witty or think I'm some kind of funny guy when you see these pictures because I'm not the guy who made them.
       Other People's pictures: sometimes I need to do a google search for a shot, such as the speedball one a few posts back as well as the broken optic shot two posts back. I will provide a link in the image description below it and probably leave out any personal text from myself so all anyone sees is the link to where I found it. Another good thing to know while I'm talking about links is that all my images find their way into the blog via the "Direct Link" method of posting images so all you need to do is click on them and you will be taken to the source.
       Product shots: If the picture is a product on a white background then it's not a shot I took. White background product shots are spread across dozens of online stores who also seldom cite the source of the product and it's a safe bet that for example, Empire Battle Tested is who 'owns' the shot of the TM7 in the second or third post of this blog. I'm also going to try and limit where I get product shots from to retailers only, not forums or imageshack galleries, just places where more reivews, information, and specs can be found on the product in the picture. Nit picking aside, unless I'm saying something bad about the product then linking to the retailer where I got the picture is kinda doing them a favor right? :)
      My shots: Every picture in the Versapod Battlepack Review is something I took and it's a safe bet that if the picture doesn't meet the criteria above like: has text, white background, has a link under it, that the picture is mine. I'll get uber-cranky-pants on people who see pictures of mine, swipe them, and make no mention of where they came from especially in cases where those pictures go on to be used for promotional or for-profit causes.
       If you can prove that you are the owner of an image on here, have a problem with my using something or are an authority on the matter who thinks I need to change one or many of my images, or just happen to know of a better way to go about giving credit for images that what I've said here, let me know and I'm sure we can work something out.

1 comment:

  1. A word of advice, any picture that you find that's hosted through photobucket and isn't under a "private" album is available through limited license for distribution and modification. :)

    http://photobucket.com/terms see 6.1

    Not bad eh?

    ReplyDelete